Advisement in the Art Depratment – Fall 2020

Uncategorized Comments (0)

Advisement in The Art Department

Fall 2020

To facilitate communication, when you reach out to anyone in the Art Department, please include your EMPL ID so that we can access your records easily. Please also consult the FAQs at the end of this document; some questions may not need an advisor.

Undergraduate Advisors

While you can come to any of us to ask questions, the particular areas of specialty are indicated.

Prof. Jennifer Ball (art history, transfer evaluations)

Prof. Ronaldo Kiel (digital concentration and minor, art studio, transfer evaluations)

Prof. Doug Schwab (art studio, transfer evaluations)

BFA Program

Elena Shereshevskaya

Prof. Derrick Adams

MA Art History

Prof. Jennifer Ball

MFA Program

Kathy Smith

Prof. Eto Otitigbe


Prof. Malka Simon

Transfer Evaluations

Prof. Jennifer Ball

Prof. Georgeen Comerford

Prof. Ronaldo Kiel (Transfer Evaluations and BA)

Prof. Doug Schwab

Art Office staff

Elizabeth Vittorioso

Elena Shereshevskaya

Kathy Smith (MFA and MA)

Contact info and office hours

Derrick Adams    – by appt

Jennifer Ball      – by appt  or Mon 10-11 zoom

Meeting ID: 475 316 6517, Passcode: 791074          

Georgeen Comerford             – by appt

Mona Hadler, Chair,                  – by appt

Ronaldo Kiel

Advisement – Zoom Meeting ID: 979 5644 1356, Every week on Wed, 10am 

Eto Otitigbe                     – by appt

Doug Schwab                       -by appt

Malka Simon                         -by appt

Kathy Smith                      

Elena Shereshevskaya     

Elizabeth Vittorioso      

Frequently Asked Questions

1. There are no classes available – help!?

Email the professor of the class(es) you want to take to get an overtally.  Overtallies can ONLY be granted by the professor giving the class (not the art office staff or advisors). You may have to consider taking a different section than your ideal section. If the professor agrees contact Liz Vittorioso and cc the chair for the permission to be entered.

2. Where do I find professor’s email addresses?

From the Web Portal, Choose Academics/Faculty Profile Search and look up by last name. Liz Vittorioso might be able to provide alternate emails for instructors if you do not receive an answer.

3. Professor XX gave me an overtally. How do I register?

Forward the email permission to Elizabeth or Elena WITH YOUR EMPL ID.  She will grant the overtally and then you can register.

4. When I try to register for class XX it says I need permission from the department?

Check the following:

(1) is it the appropriate section of the class for your level, graduate or undergraduate (Graduate classes begin with the number 7, so an undergrad will not be able to register for a grad class).

(2) is it an independent study class (ARTD 5150, 5151) or Internship (ARTD 4920, 4264)?  These require you to have made an arrangement with a faculty member in advance (see below) or to have gotten an internship and had it approved by Prof. Simon (see below). If you have done this then Elizabeth will give permission for you to register after you fill out some paperwork.

(3) you have taken the course before at a previous college – don’t take the same course twice!

If none of these is the explanation, please reach out to an advisor.

5. I want to take the internship course, what is that and how do I do it?

The Internship course is not a course with us, it is just a mechanism for getting course credit for an internship that you do outside of Brooklyn College. You need to find, apply for and be accepted for the internship yourself, then get the internship approved by Prof. Simon who will instruct you in final details for getting course credit.

6. I want to do an independent study, how do I sign up for this?

You need to first get a faculty member to supervise your independent work. You need to pitch an idea for independent work to a faculty member. If approved you will fill out paperwork, to be signed by both the faculty member and the chair. The chair approves all independent studies   Please do not think of an independent study if you have not taken the courses in the area.  Independent studies are designed for advanced work with a professor with whom you have worked.

7. I want to graduate soon, what should I do to get ready?

You should apply for graduation (on the portal), which will trigger an audit before you begin your last semester, at the latest, or preferably your final year.  This will highlight any issues in completing requirements and give you time to complete them.

8. I have an issue with my professor/a staff member on campus/a fellow student. What should I do?

Speak to an advisor or the chair who can advise you depending on the nature of your problem. You may speak to a trusted professor who is not an advisor as well and we will figure out the best course of action.

» Uncategorized » Advisement in the Art Depratment...
On 09/11/2020

Comments are closed.

« »